[cfe-dev] preferred way to translate and output source code?

Michael Kruse via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 23 09:41:08 PDT 2018

The Rewriter is useful if you want to make small changes and keep the
remaining untouched (formatting, whitespace, ...). If you target a
different language, you probably do not want/need to preserve
anything, so a recursive traversal is the right thing to do. It also
saves you from having to handle #include and forward declarations,
which probably do not have the same semantics in your target language.

"Probably", because there are two language rewriters in clang:
RewriteObjC/RewriteModernObjC (Objective C -> C) and HTMLRewriter
(ObjC/C/C++ -> HTML)

Michael