[cfe-dev] Questions about Workflow & Submitting Patches

Shyan Akmal via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 15 19:14:10 PDT 2018

Hello,

I'm working with a team of students that's interested in contributing to
the clang front end (with the initial step of writing new checks for
clang-tidy).

We'd like to setup a workflow that makes it easy for us to review each
other's work before officially submitting changes upstream, and also will
be amenable to officially integrating our changes to clang-tidy.

Our current plan is to fork the git mirror of LLVM, and make commits to
this copy of the repo on GitHub. After we finish writing and reviewing a
check, we'd get the diff and submit a patch through Phabricator.

This seems inline with the process suggested in the LLVM docs (from
https://llvm.org/docs/GettingStarted.html#for-developers-to-work-with-git-svn
and https://llvm.org/docs/Phabricator.html).

*Questions*:

   - Does this workflow make sense, and is it in accordance with LLVM
   developer policy?
   - Is there an alternate (or more standard) workflow that anyone thinks
   would work better?
   - If we work through a git repo, is it necessary to use git-svn to make
   sure svn (and not just git) has changes saved?
   - Are there any specific practices we should adopt to make sure our
   additions can be successfully integrated into the current version of LLVM?

Best,
Shyan