[cfe-dev] PCH generated in a different environment crashesapplication

Whisperity via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 9 11:49:22 PDT 2018

I don’t think PCHs were ever meant to be “transferable” between machines. Something rings a bell that even moving a PCH generated by one compiler to another (version of the) compiler is also unsupported. If the environment changes (to which it is not only compiler invocation should be considered but also “many other things”) then the PCH is by virtue outdated and must be remade…

A stack trace and a debug build would be good to look at to see exactly what goes sideways.

Do you mean that you get a PCH from another user and use it in your compilation to do some things on it? I think unless the other user’s environment is bit-by-bit the same it will be tricky to hunt down…

Does it work if the other user does everything from scratch on their own machine?

It might be that the PCH misses something after having been loaded, or the resulting AST is bogus somewhere in the middle of it, and you run into a hole. Is this crash a simple SIGSEGV or something more detailed? Perhaps an assertion message, which is emitted to the output?

; W.