[cfe-dev] avoid loops in the exploded graph?

Donát Nagy via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 9 05:03:22 PDT 2018

Hi,

My intuition is that in some situations it is guaranteed that the state will be modified and then the if (NewState!=State) check is unnecessary. In other situations there is a possibility that the state will remain the same (e.g. the expression was already marked as tainted, so nothing changes) and this could theoretically create to a loop edge (an edge from the current node to itself) in the exploded graph.

A loop edge is obviously undesirable, because it could send graph traversal into infinite loops, so wee need to guarantee that they do not appear in the exploded graph.  As Kristóf wrote, the method CheckerContext::addTransitionImpl() always guarantees this with a defensive check (with a TODO to turn it into an assert); but in some checkers it is also tested by the checker itself.

Donát