[cfe-dev] Should we stop supporting building with Visual Studio?

Cullen, Colden via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 8 15:10:04 PDT 2018

> I use Incredibuild in work. I'm not sure if it supports Ninja, or if that requires a different license etc.

It does work, doesn't require a different license, and I've had good luck with it. The tl;dr is run "BuildConsole /COMMAND="ninja [target]" /PROFILE=ninja.xml", but here's the docs link:
https://incredibuild.kayako.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/139/0/how-to-accelerate-ninja-builds-with-incredibuild

On 10/8/18, 11:55 AM, "cfe-dev on behalf of Stephen Kelly via cfe-dev" <cfe-dev-bounces at lists.llvm.org on behalf of cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

    On 07/10/18 21:49, Zachary Turner via cfe-dev wrote:
    > 1) Using MSBuild is slower than Ninja.

    I use Incredibuild in work. I'm not sure if it supports Ninja, or if
    that requires a different license etc. It's certainly faster with
    MSBuild than using Ninja locally only.

    > 2) Unless you remember to pass -Thost=x64 on the command line, you won't
    > be able to successfully build.  We can (and have) updated the
    > documentation to indicate this, but it's not intuitive and still bites
    > people because for some reason this is not the default.

    This has only just been added to the documentation. Should we give that
    a chance?

    This is a detail that users may have to get right, yes. What details
    have to be done right (and not forgotten) in your proposal? Does it just
    substitute one "detail to remember" for another?

    > 3) Even if you do pass -Thost=x64 to CMake, it will apparently still
    > fail sometimes.  See this thread for details:
    > http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2018-October/059609.html.  It
    > seems the parallel build scheduler does not do a good job and can bring
    > a machine down.  This is not the first time though, every couple of
    > months there's a thread about how building or running tests from within
    > VS doesn't work.

    I don't know any more about this. It would be good to know more than
    that it can "apparently fail sometimes".

    Thanks!

    Stephen.