[cfe-dev] Building for target armv7a-win32-eabi not possible

Jayvee Neumann via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Oct 2 02:30:20 PDT 2018

Hello together,

I have a question regarding the the target triple armv7a-win32-eabi. I want
to emit ARM code (not thumb code) for windows. The object file should be in
COFF.
When calling clang++ with that target and the "--verbose" switch, I can see
that the generated triple is "tumbv7--windows-eabi". This is explicitly not
what I specified as a target.
I then went ahead and changed the generated call to use "-triple
armv7a--windows-eabi". This resulted in the compiler error:
> error: Function 'func' uses ARM instructions, but the target does not
support ARM mode execution.
> fatal error: error in backend: unsupported relocation type:
fixup_arm_uncondbl

The question I have is, why is it prohibited to export ARM code for win32?
When I replace "win32" with "none" I get no such error.

Best regards,
Jayvee