[cfe-dev] [RFC] Adding lifetime analysis to clang

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 30 03:00:32 PST 2018

Unfortunately, we do not have real world experience on a large codebase for
the following reasons:
* The implementation we have does not support annotations yet, and large
projects are likely to contain exceptions to the default rules (even if
only a few)
* The analysis has an expected coding style, e.g. it does not reason about
arithmetic on raw pointers

We did run it on some projects like LLVM and there were a lot of noise
mainly due to the unsupported language features like pointer arithmetic.
The rest of the false positives were mostly due to the basic assumption of
the analysis that every path is feasible.
We did find some true positives with a similar analysis looking for use
after moves in LLVM. Those true positives were redundant std::forward calls
that are not going to cause any runtime error but still removing them would
make the code cleaner and less likely to misbehave in the future. See:
https://github.com/llvm-mirror/llvm/blob/master/include/llvm/Support/Error.h#L894
(The same arguments forwarded multiple times in a loop. Since the callee
never actually moves the arguments we will not end up using a moved from
object. But if we never move the argument, why would we use std::forward in
the first place?)

But even if the cfg-based lifetime analysis end up being a coding style
specific check, the rest of the (cfg-less) clang warnings would become much
more powerful after type categories are upstreamed. They could catch a lot
of errors without having any false positives by default. Thus, I do see the
value going forward, even if we do not have much real world experience yet.

Regards,
Gabor