[cfe-dev] [EuroLLVM'19] Call for Talks, Tutorials, BoFs, Student Research Competition, and more !

Arnaud Allard de Grandmaison via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 29 09:02:35 PST 2018

All developers and users of LLVM and related sub-projects are invited to
present at EuroLLVM'19 <http://www.llvm.org/devmtg/2019-04/>.

We are looking for the following proposals:

   1.

   Technical Talks (30 minutes including Q&A): talks on LLVM core
   libraries, Clang, Infrastructure, and all related sub-projects, on uses of
   LLVM in academia or industry, on new projects using Clang or LLVM

   1.

   Tutorials (60 minutes): in depth talks on LLVM infrastructure or other
   core libraries, with in depth examples and explanations

   1.

   Student Research Competition (25 minutes talk including Q&A + poster):
   The SRC offers students doing LLVM related research a non-academic platform
   to announce and advertise their work as well as to discuss it with other
   researchers, developers and users of LLVM. Students are strongly encouraged
   to present a poster as well, as this will enable wider discussions with the
   audience. There will be a prize for the best SRC talk.
   2.

   Lightning Talks (5 minutes, no questions, no discussions)
   3.

   Bird of a Feather
   <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birds_of_a_feather_(computing)> (30
   minutes)
   4.

   Posters (1 hour poster session)

Submission Requirements:

The submission deadline is January 13, 2019 AoE.

Please submit your proposal at https://hotcrp.llvm.org/eurollvm2019

For each proposal, please submit a title, short abstract (to be used on the
website), note who the speakers are, and provide a more detailed
description of the talk. You must consult and follow the guide at the end
of this CFP when submitting your proposal.

When will I be notified of acceptance?

Our goal is to notify all proposal submitters by January 25, 2019.

Should I register if I have submitted a proposal?

We have 1 complimentary reserved registration for each accepted technical
talk, BoF, or student research competition talk. Accepted tutorials have
been reserved 2 complimentary registrations. There are no reserved
registration spots for posters or lightning talks. So please register any
additional speakers or if you do not have a reserved registration slot.

What if I registered and my talk got accepted?

We can refund your registration fee and instructions will be sent following
notification. If you plan to attend even if your proposal is not accepted
and are worried about the event selling out, we suggest registering before
notification of acceptance.

What if I registered and my talk DID NOT get accepted?

We can refund your registration fee if you no longer wish to attend if you
contact the organizers by February 25, 2019.

What will be recorded?

All technical talks, tutorials, SRC talks and lightning talks will be
recorded. By submitting your proposal, you are giving us permission to
record if you present at the meeting. For SRC talks, you have the option to
delay publication of the slides and video for you talk for up to 12 months.

Who is on the program committee?

Our program committee chair is Anton Korobeynikov. The program committee is
composed of active developers of the LLVM, Clang, and related
sub-communities and have industrial, academic or research backgrounds :
Aaron Smith, Eric Christopher, Quentin Colombet, Damien Couroussé,
Sylvestre Ledru, Hans Wennborg, Johannes Doerfert, Alex Bradbury and Sven Van
Haastregt.

I have a question, who do I contact?

Please email the EuroLLVM'19 organisers (eurollvm-organizers at lists.llvm.org),
)

Detailed guidance on writing a proposal for the LLVM developers’ meeting

This is a guide to help you submit the best proposal and increase your
chances of your proposal being accepted. The LLVM Developers’ Meeting
program committee receives more proposals than can be accepted, so please
read this guide carefully.

If you have never presented at an LLVM Developers’ Meeting, then do not
fear this process. We are actively looking for new speakers who are excited
about LLVM and helping grow the community through these educational talks!
You do not need to be a long time developer to submit a proposal.

General guidelines:

   -

   It should be clear from your abstract what your topic is, who your
   targeted audience is, and what are the takeaways for attendees. The program
   committee gets a lot of proposals and does not have time to read 10 page
   papers for each submission (excluding SRC submissions).
   -

   Talks about a use of LLVM (etc) should include details about how LLVM is
   used and not only be about the resulting application.
   -

   Tutorials on “how to use X” in LLVM (or other subproject) are greatly
   desired and beneficial to many developers. Entry level topics are
   encouraged as well.
   -

   Talks that have been presented at other technical conferences tend to
   not get accepted. If you have presented this topic before, make it clear
   what is new and different in your talk.
   -

   We suggest you proofread and pay attention to grammar.

Technical talk & tutorial proposal template:

Title:

   -

   This will be displayed on the website, schedule, and signs.
   -

   Keep it short and catchy to attract attendees to your talk. A couple of
   examples are “WebAssembly: Here Be Dragons” or “Beyond Sanitizers: guided
   fuzzing and security hardening”.

Speaker Name(s), Company, Email:

   -

   This should be only the people giving the talk. HotCRP allows you to
   list authors but not speakers. We also recommend you put speakers only in
   the HotCRP “Contact” field so they are the ones contacted regarding
   conference details.

Abstract:

   -

   1-2 paragraphs. Keep in mind that this is displayed on the schedule and
   website for attendees to consider when selecting talks.

Submission:

   -

   Include details about your talk in the PDF you upload: an outline, demo
   description, background of the speaker, etc.
   -

   For tutorials, include additional details such as tutorial outline, what
   materials you will provide attendees, etc.
   -

   This will not be published and is intended for the PC to better
   understand how interesting your talk will be to the audience. For example,
   if you would prefer not to reveal some conclusions in the published
   abstract, explaining them here ensures that the PC can take them into
   account when evaluating your proposal.

SRC talk proposal template:

Title:

   -

   This will be displayed on the website, schedule, and signs.
   -

   Keep it short and catchy to attract attendees to your talks. A couple of
   examples are “WebAssembly: Here Be Dragons” or “Beyond Sanitizers: guided
   fuzzing and security hardening”.

Speaker Name(s), Company, Email:

   -

   This should be only the people giving the talk. HotCRP allows you to
   list authors but not speakers. We also recommend you put speakers only in
   the HotCRP “Contact” field so they are the ones contacted regarding
   conference details.

Abstract:

   -

   1-2 paragraphs. Keep in mind that this is displayed on the schedule and
   website for attendees to consider when selecting talks.

Submission:

   -

   Details must be provided in a 2 pages pdf, formatted using the SIGPLAN
   article format : 8.5in x 11in single spaced, double column page with a 10pt
   or larger font.
   -

   Optionally, you can attach your actual research paper, but that’s mainly
   for the benefit of the reviewers who may not have time to actually read it.
   -

   If you need an embargo (delaying the publishing of the slides and video
   by up to 12 months), please fill-in the embargo request text box.
   -

   You are strongly encouraged to submit your talk as a poster as well as
   it will enable wider discussions at the meeting. The Program committee
   might also not select your talk proposal, but still offers you to present a
   poster.
   -

   This will not be published and is intended for the PC to better
   understand how interesting your talk will be to the audience. For example,
   if you would prefer not to reveal some conclusions in the published
   abstract, explaining them here ensures that the PC can take them into
   account when evaluating your proposal.

BoF proposal template:

Title:

   -

   This will be displayed on the website, schedule, and signs. These tend
   to be very straight forward about the area being discussed. An example is
   “Future directions and features for LLDB”.

Speaker Name(s), Company, Email:

   -

   This should be only the people giving the talk. HotCRP allows you to
   list authors but not speakers. We also recommend you put speakers only in
   the HotCRP “Contact” field so they are the ones contacted regarding
   conference details.

Abstract:

   -

   1-2 paragraphs. Keep in mind that this is displayed on the schedule and
   website for attendees to consider when selecting which BoFs to attend.

Submission:

   -

   Provide additional details in the PDF you upload: goals of the BoF,
   presentation style. BoFs are to brainstorm ideas on a specific topic but
   you will be more successful if you have a guided discussion with talking
   points and actionable items at the end.
   -

   Provide some talking points or potential subtopics.
   -

   This will not be published and is intended for the PC to better
   understand how interesting your talk will be to the audience.

Lightning talks & Poster proposal template:

Title:

   -

   This will be displayed on the website, schedule, and signs.
   -

   Keep it short and catchy to attract attendees to your talks. A couple of
   examples are “WebAssembly: Here Be Dragons” or “Beyond Sanitizers: guided
   fuzzing and security hardening”.

Speaker Name(s), Company, Email:

   -

   This should be only the people presenting the poster. HotCRP allows you
   to list authors but not presenters. We also recommend you put presenters