[cfe-dev] [RFC] automatic variable initialization

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 27 10:16:16 PST 2018

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 6:55 PM Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 6:43 PM Kostya Serebryany via cfe-dev <
> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 9:00 AM David Blaikie via cfe-dev <
>> cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Would it be that drastic to have this require a code change/compiler
>>> rebuild to enable? It could be designed so the change is small/easy
>>> (changing a constant) but that the default compilers we all ship around (&
>>> especially not the official releases) don't allow access to this
>>> functionality.
>>>
>>> Anyone wanting to gather data would have to make this small change,
>>> rebuild their compiler, build their target with this feature & gatehr
>>> results from there.
>>>

>> This will cripple our ability to do measurements because in many cases we
>> can only build things with whatever is the production compiler.
>> I'd rather just rename the flag to something like
>> -ftrivial-auto-var-init=zero-SCARY-WARNING-ABOUT-VOID-WARRANTY-GOES-HERE
>>

> Reminds me of -fheinous-gnu-extensions. ;-)

Pretty much - and I don't think any choice of spelling is bad enough that
it'd make it substantially less likely that people would end up depending
on the behavior in their non-buggy codepaths. Once the flag is written into
someone's build system, there it is... even if it's absurdly
long/verbose/angry/whatever, generally it'll slip under the radar after
it's written into the build system.

- Dave