[cfe-dev] [RFC] automatic variable initialization

Kostya Serebryany via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Nov 15 17:26:11 PST 2018

Very exciting, and long overdue. Thanks for doing this!
Countless security bugs would have been mitigated by this, see below.

Agree with the rationale: UUMs remain bugs, and we need to try hard to not
let developers rely on auto-initialization.
(e.g. in future patches we may decide to change the patterns, or to make
them different between the runs, etc)
All the old goodness (msan, -Wuninitialized, static analyses) is still
relevant.

I am separately excited with this work because it is essentially a
precursor to efficient support for ARM's memory tagging extension (MTE).
if we can make enough compiler optimizations to auto-initialize locals with
low overhead, then MTE stack instrumentation will come for ~ free.
http://llvm.org/devmtg/2018-10/talk-abstracts.html#talk16

Does -Wuninitialized still work with -ftrivial-auto-var-init=pattern|zero?

In later patches we may need to have flags to separately control auto-init
of scalars, PODs, arrays of data, arrays of pointers, etc.
because in some cases we could achieve 90% of benefit at 10% of cost.

I think that zero-init is going to be substantially cheaper than
pattern-init, but happy to be wrong.

Here are some links to bugs, vulnerabilities and full exploits based on
uses of uninitialized memory.
The list is not exhaustive by any means, and we keep finding them every
day.
The problem is, of course, that we don't find all of them.

   -

   Linux kernel: KMSAN trophies
   <https://github.com/google/kmsan/wiki/KMSAN-Trophies>, more trophies
   <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/syzkaller-bugs/subject$3Akmsan>,
   CVEs
   <https://www.cvedetails.com/product/47/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html?vendor_id=33>
   -

   Chrome: 700+ UMRs Chromium found by fuzzing
   <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list?can=1&q=Stability%3DMemory-MemorySanitizer+-status%3ADuplicate+-status%3AWontFix+Use-of-uninitialized-value>
   -

   Android: userspace: CVE-2018-9345/CVE-2018-9346
   <https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/av/+/d6bd6091686dd7ea3b410fb8dce3794429066453>,
   CVE-2018-9420
   <https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/media/+/12df4b05fd918d836636e21f783df7ad9d5e17a3>,
   CVE-2018-9421
   <https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/native/+/ff2171f2460e3a6d3443ab957732b8b7d4831d40>
   , CVE-2017-13252
   <https://android.googlesource.com/platform/frameworks/av/+/86141f9df21cb8ac91f9cc9804f5b75d26d98996>;
   kernel: CVE-2017-9075
   <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=fdcee2cbb8438702ea1b328fb6e0ac5e9a40c7f8>,
   CVE-2017-9076
   <https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=83eaddab4378db256d00d295bda6ca997cd13a52>,
   12% of all bugs (as of 2016
   <https://www.blackhat.com/docs/us-16/materials/us-16-Kralevich-The-Art-Of-Defense-How-Vulnerabilities-Help-Shape-Security-Features-And-Mitigations-In-Android.pdf>).

   -

   OSS: 700+ bugs in various OSS projects found by fuzzing
   <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/oss-fuzz/issues/list?can=1&q=use-of-uninitialized-value&colspec=ID+Type+Component+Status+Proj+Reported+Owner+Summary&cells=ids>
   -

   Project Zero (P0) findings: ~139 total
   <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/list?can=1&q=uninitialized+&colspec=ID+Status+Restrict+Reported+Vendor+Product+Finder+Summary&cells=ids>.

   -

   Mozilla: 100+ bugs
   <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?keywords=csectype-uninitialized%2C%20&keywords_type=allwords&resolution=FIXED&resolution=INVALID&resolution=WONTFIX&resolution=INACTIVE&resolution=DUPLICATE&resolution=WORKSFORME&resolution=INCOMPLETE&resolution=SUPPORT&resolution=EXPIRED&resolution=MOVED&query_format=advanced&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED>
   -

   "Detecting Kernel Memory Disclosure with x86 Emulation and Taint
   Tracking" <https://j00ru.vexillium.org/papers/2018/bochspwn_reloaded.pdf>
   (Sections 3.5 and 6.1.2)

   -

   Leaks of sensitive information
   -

      Linux kernel:
      -

         P0#1431
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1431>:
         disclosure of large chunks of kernel memory.
         -

         https://alephsecurity.com/vulns/aleph-2016005: Android, uninitialized
         kernel memory leak over USB
         -

      Windows kernel:
      -

         CVE-2018-8493
         <https://menschers.com/2018/10/30/what-is-cve-2018-8493/>
         -

         P0#1276
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1276>
         (CVE-2017-8685) - a continuous leak of 1kB from the Windows
kernel stack,
         discovered by diffing win32k.sys between Windows 7 and Windows 10. It
         enabled an attacker to e.g. perform system-wide keyboard
sniffing to some
         extent. Mentioned in P0 blog
         <https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2017/10/using-binary-diffing-to-discover.html>
         post about bindiffing.
         -

         P0#1352
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1352>
         (CVE-2017-11817) - a leak of ~4kB of uninitialized Windows kernel pool
         memory to NTFS metadata upon mounting the file system,
without requiring
         user interaction. Made it possible to "exfiltrate" kernel
memory from a
         powered-on but locked Windows machine through the USB port.
         -

         P0#1500
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1500>
         (CVE-2018-1037) - 3 kB of uninitialized user-mode heap memory
leaking from
         Microsoft build servers into a small percentage of .pdb symbol files
         publicly available through the Microsoft Symbol Server.
         -

         P0#1267
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1267>
         (CVE-2017-8680) - disclosure of a controlled number of
uninitialized bytes
         from the Windows kernel pool.
         -

         P0#176
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=176>,
         #248 <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=>,
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=259>,
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=277>,
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=281>
         (CVE-2015-0089, many other CVEs) - a disclosure of uninitialized
         user/kernel-mode heap memory in the OpenType glyph outline VM program,
         which affected the Windows kernel, user-mode DirectWrite and WPF
         components, Adobe Reader, and Oracle Java. Discussed in detail in a P0
         blog post
         <https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2015/09/enabling-qr-codes-in-internet-explorer.html>
         .
         -

      User space:
      -

         *bleed continues
         <https://scarybeastsecurity.blogspot.com/2017/05/bleed-continues-18-byte-file-14k-bounty.html>
         -

   Leaks of pointers (allows further attacks)
   -

      Windows kernel:
      -

         P0#825
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=825>
         (CVE-2016-3262) - rendering of uninitialized heap bytes as
pixels in EMF
         files parsed by user-mode Microsoft GDI+. Considered a
WontFix by Microsoft
         until it turned out that Office Online was vulnerable and
could leak memory
         from Microsoft servers, at which point they fixed the bug.
         -

         P0#480
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=480>
         (CVE-2015-2433) - a 0-day Windows kernel memory disclosure that was
         discovered in the Hacking Team dump in July 2015, and was
independently
         found by ex-P0 member Matt Tait. It was used in an exploit
chain to defeat
         KASLR and reveal the base address of win32k.sys.
         -

         P0#1153
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1153>,
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1159>,
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1191>,
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1268>,
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1275>,
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1311> -
         various examples of relatively long (~100+ bytes) continuous
disclosure of
         Windows kernel memory, which could be easily used to de-aslr
the kernel,
         leak stack cookies etc.
         -

      MacOS kernel:
      -

         CVE-2017-2357 <https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-2357>,
         CVE-2017-{13836, 13840, 13841, 13842},
         -

         P0#1410
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1410>
         -

         (more of such
         <https://www.google.com/search?q=%22An+application+may+be+able+to+read+restricted+memory%22+inurl%3Asupport.apple.com&oq=%22An+application+may+be+able+to+read+restricted+memory%22+inurl%3Asupport.apple.com&aqs=chrome..69i57.2441j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>
         )
         -

      User space:
      -

         P0#711
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=711>:
         Android, uninitialized heap memory which could help break ASLR in a
         privileged process
         -

   Privilege escalation / code execution
   -

      Linux kernel: unauthorized access to IPC objects
      <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/syzkaller-bugs/j5_w9tlG5Fo/esrHTJw0AwAJ>
      -

      Windows kernel:
      -

         CVE-2016-0040
         <https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/srd/2017/06/20/tales-from-the-msrc-from-pixels-to-poc/>
         -

         P0#177
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=177>
         (CVE-2015-0090) - off-by-one in the OpenType glyph outline VM in the
         Windows kernel, which led to arbitrary read/write thanks to accessing
         uninitialized pointers. Successfully exploited for privilege
escalation on
         Windows 8.1 64-bit, as shown here
         <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVBSvjYQgq8>.
         -

      MacOS kernel:
      -

         CVE-2017-2358 <https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2017-2358>
         -

         P0#618
         <https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=618> (
         CVE-2016-1721 <https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205732>): a local
         user may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges

--kcc