[cfe-dev] RFC for AUTOSAR enforcement in clang-tidy/Static Analysis

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 12 14:11:02 PST 2018

On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 4:43 AM Dennis Melamed via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in adding enforcement for AUTOSAR (https://www.autosar.org/fileadmin/user_upload/standards/adaptive/17-03/AUTOSAR_RS_CPP14Guidelines.pdf) coding standards into clang-tidy.
>
> As these rules are strict and not very general-purpose (they'd generate a lot of noise from things that are not actually unsafe but are against the standard), it would make sense to me to add them to a new AUTOSAR module, not into misc- or other places. Would this be possible?

Yes, absolutely! We have checks for other coding standards such as the
CERT C++ Secure Coding standard, C++ Core Guidelines, High Integrity
C++, etc. Adding checks for AUTOSAR in its own module would be great!

> I'm guessing it would require contacting AUTOSAR for permission, is there any existing contact with the organization?

Not to my knowledge. This would be the first step needed to take
before adding such checks, if only to make sure that we're okay to use
the name AUTOSAR, how we should reference or cite their documentation,
etc.

~Aaron