[cfe-dev] [RFC] C++17 hardware constructive / destructive interference size

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri May 25 13:34:37 PDT 2018

On 05/25/2018 02:40 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> On 25 May 2018 at 12:15, Hal Finkel via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:

>>>     Interesting point. The case I’d like to cover is one where the
>>>     developer wants to get the exact right value for their
>>>     particular CPU, instead of a conservative answer with extra
>>>     padding. How do you think we should meet this use case?

>>     isn't constexpr?  I can't think of any other reasonable solution.
>
>     Unfortunately, to define structure layouts they need to be constant.
>
>     The best solution I've thought of is to extend the abi_tag support
>     to force the mangling of interfaces depending on values of these
>     constructs to be different.
>

> abi_tag is not an effective way of maintaining ABI, because it needs
> to be "viral" / transitive, and can't be (at least, not without huge
> developer effort).

Interesting. I had thought that abi_tag was transitive.

It occurs to me that Transitive ABI Infection Mechanism (TAIM) has a
reasonable acronym. :-) - I suspect that's what we need in this case.

> Perhaps we could add an attribute
> to hardware_{con,de}structive_interference_size that produces a
> warning if they are used outside the main source file?

I thought about suggesting this, but didn't, because I suspect that
many/most uses will be in header files, just project-internal header
files (because they'll be defining structure layouts, padding arrays,
etc.). I think that such a warning will be pretty noisy, unfortunately.

> We'd also need to make them non-inline, which is an observable
> conformance break, but seems unlikely to be important compared to the
> other issues.

Good point. Do you think that we should file a DR about this? I imagine
that most everyone is going to be in the same boat in this regard.

 -Hal

>      -Hal
>

>>     -Eli
>>     --
>>     Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
>>     Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project

>     --
>     Hal Finkel
>     Lead, Compiler Technology and Programming Languages
>     Leadership Computing Facility
>     Argonne National Laboratory

Hal Finkel