[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Rewriting calls to varargs functions

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue May 22 11:20:14 PDT 2018

On 05/22/2018 11:59 AM, Dávid Bolvanský wrote:
> It could save useless parsing in s/f/printf during runtime.

Sure. But it is not clear that matters. printf is expensive anyway.
Maybe this matters more for snprintf? Have you benchmarked this?

> E.g. for heavy "fprint"ing code like fprintf(f, "%s: %s", TAG, msg); I
> think it could be quite useful.
> After this transformation we would get fprintf(f, "ABC: %s", msg);
>  --> We could save one push/mov instruction + less parsing in printf
> every time we call it. We would just replace string constant "%s: %s"
> with "ABC: %s" and possibly orphaned "ABC" constant could be removed
> completely.

Possibly. You also might end up substituting the string into many other
strings, resulting in many other longer strings, and thus increasing the
size of the executable.

 -Hal