[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Proof-of-concept for Matcher-like checker API (graph matchers)

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu May 17 18:47:37 PDT 2018

On 5/17/18 5:28 AM, Gábor Horváth wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> In general, I like the idea of having a more declarative way to define new
> checks.
>
> On Thu, 17 May 2018 at 01:37, Alexey Sidorin <alexey.v.sidorin at ya.ru
> <mailto:alexey.v.sidorin at ya.ru>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     I'd like to share some results of my investigation targeted on
>     improvement of Clang Static Analyzer checker API. You can find some
>     previous conversation on this topic here:
>     http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/analyzer-RFC-Design-idea-separate-modelling-from-checking-td4059122.html.
>
>     In my investigation, I tried to solve a particular problem of
>     building a
>     checker without generating new nodes.
>

> Why do you focus on such checks that does not have traits, does not
> generate new nodes.
> Do you find this to be the majority of the checks you need to implement?

Ok, so as far as i understand, these new checkers don't support traits
because they don't *need* them. Instead, they plan to use
"backreferences" in matchers, i.e. double file descriptor close can be
described as:

   hasSequence(
     call(hasName("fclose"), hasArg(0, sym().bind("fd"))),
     call(hasName("fclose"), hasArg(0, sym(equalsBoundNode("fd"))))
   );

Right?

So we can't eliminate the path on which the pointer is null after we
dereference it, like we normally do, we can't introduce state splits, we
can't produce fatal error nodes, but we can still use finite state machines.

The real question is, how do we implement RetainCountChecker that needs
to count the potentially infinite number of retains and releases before
emitting the warning, and is therefore not a finite state machine?^^

>     --------- Introduction and design goals ---------
>
>     In brief, I tried to use matchers-like API to make CSA checkers look
>     like this:
>
>     StatementMatcher NotChdir =
>     callExpr(unless(callee(functionDecl(hasName("::chdir")))));
>     Finder.addMatcher(
>          hasSequence(
>              postStmt(hasStatement(
>     callExpr(callee(functionDecl(hasName("::chroot")))))),
>              unless(stmtPoint(hasStatement(callExpr(
>                  callee(functionDecl(hasName("::chdir"))),
>                  hasArgument(0,
>     hasValue(stringRegion(refersString("/")))))))),
>     explodedNode(anyOf(postStmt(hasStatement(NotChdir)),
>     callEnter(hasCallExpr(NotChdir))))
>                  .bind("bug_node")),
>          &Callback);
>     Finder.match(G);

Aha, so am i understanding correctly that unless() here is not your
normal unless()? The normal unless() clause would have meant

     "somewhere between chroot() and the offending call there's a node
that's not chdir()"

but what we're trying to say is

     "nowhere between chroot() and the offending call there's a node
that's chdir()"

?
> I think, a common (design) pitfall of writing checks is to try to
> match against
> the AST when a symbolic execution callback should be used instead.
> I am a bit afraid having an API like this would make this pitfall more
> common.
> Maybe a separation between the path sensitive, flow sensitive and
> AST based checks is good for the checker writers and new users and
> I am not sure that the same abstraction fits all of these cases.
>
> In case of path sensitive checks I wonder if a state machine like
> abstraction would
> fit the use cases better (and also cover checks that are using traits)
> where the guarding conditions of the state transitions can include AST
> matcher like checks.
>

>     and I have managed to make some simple working examples.
>
>     The entire diff can be found here:
>     https://github.com/a-sid/clang/commit/9a0b1d1d9b3cf41b551a663f041f54d5427aa72f
>     The code itself: https://github.com/a-sid/clang/tree/a4
>
>     There are several reasons why I have tried this approach.
>
>     1. AST Matchers are already extensively used API for AST checking.
>     They
>     are available both in Clang-Tidy and CSA. And I wanted to use
>     existing
>     functionality as much as possible. So, I decided to extend an
>     existing
>     API to make its usage seamless across different kinds of checks:
>     path-sensitive, AST-based and CFG-based.

When we say CFG-based checks, we usually mean "all paths" checks that
find bugs indicated by a certain invariant holding on all paths through
a certain program point(s). Such as TestAfterDivideZero or DeadStore.

The problem with CFG-based "all paths" checks that i don't really know
how to solve and that's probably not going to be solved by giving them a
good API is error reporting. Imagine a conversation with a user:

   A n a l y z e r :  Hey this assignment is not used.

   U s e r :  But hey, it's used here *points to the code*.

   A n a l y z e r :  But this code is dead.

   U s e r :  Why so? Suppose 'x' is equal to true, we jump straight
into this code.

   A n a l y z e r :  That's because the initializer for 'x' is in fact
always evaluated to false.

   U s e r :  WHY t___t

Etc. The first piece of information is produced by a DeadStore checker.
The second piece of information is produced by some sort of DeadCode
checker (currently alpha). The third piece of information is produced by
some sort of SameResLogicalExpr checker (currently in the list of
potential checkers). All three checkers are all-paths checkers. And
unless all three checker's diagnostics are presented to the user at the
same time, the user will be unable to understand the bug report.

I believe that we should really solve this problem somehow (or explain
to me why it isn't a problem) before we try to introduce a massive
increase in the number of CFG-based checkers we have (currently 1).

> [...]
>
> But does this generalize later on to stateful checks?
>

>     2. AST matchers effectively help clients to avoid a lot of
>     checking of
>     dyn_cast results. This feature not only makes them more convenient
>     but
>     also more safe because, in my experience, forgetting a nullptr/None
>     check is a pretty common mistake for checker writers.
>

> I think if something cannot be null we should return references, otherwise
> the client need to check for the pointer beeing null (unless there are
> some
> dynamic invariant that would make the check redundant). If an API does
> not match this philosophy, maybe we should fix the API first.
>
> Regardless of fixing the API, I agree that it would be great to have
> higher
> level APIs for checker authors.
>

>     3. Testing of AST matchers don't require writing C++ code - it can be
>     done interactively with clang-query tool. And I believe that we need
>     similar functionality for CSA as well.
>

> Having a query tool for exploded graphs could be very helpful, I agree.
> These graphs tend to be very large and sometimes it is not trivial to
> find the relevant parts during debugging.
>

>     I didn't want to replace existing checker API. Instead, I tried to
>     make
>     new possibilities usable independently or together with existing.
>
>     --------- Design and implementation ---------
>
>     The implementation consisted of a number of steps.
>
>     1. Allow matching nodes of path-sensitive graph like usual AST
>     nodes. To
>     make this possible, three actions were needed:
>       1.1. ASTTypeTraits and DynTypedNode were extended to support
>     path-sensitive nodes: ExplodedNode, ProgramState, SVal, SymExpr, etc.
>

> I wonder, if in general it is a good idea to pattern match in checks
> on SymExpr.
> A more general approach here would be to use the constraint solver for
> queries
> in a similar manner how ProgramState::assume works.
>
>     The implementation with graph node support is moved into a separate
>     class (ASTGraphTypeTraits) in ento namespace to resolve cyclic
>     dependencies (they are still exist, unfortunately, but are
>     header-only,
>     so we can build the PoC).
>       1.2. Some additions to AST matchers were made to add support for
>     new
>     kinds of nodes.
>       1.3. To make MatchFinder able to query specific options not
>     supported
>     by pure AST, it was augmented with "Contexts". A matcher that
>     needs to
>     query the path-sensitive engine asks the Finder for the required
>     Context
>     which provides specific helper functions.
>
>     As the result of this step, we are able to write matchers like
>     expr(hasArgument(0, hasValue(stringRegion(refersString("/"))))).

Yeah, we'll also eventually need operators over symbols, eg.:

     arraySubscriptExpr(hasSubscript(expr(hasSVal(sym(isLessThan(
sym(equalsBoundNode("array_size")))).bind("array_subscript")))))

Still, SVal matchers are something i always wanted. I even made SVal
visitors. The latter turned out to be pretty useless though :/

> I think this is the part of the proposal that I like the most, it would be
> a very concise way to write down guarding conditions.
>

>     2. Create an engine for graph exploration and matching.
>        Unlike normal AST matchers, hasSequence is a path-sensitive
>     matcher.
>     It is launched against ExplodedGraph. These matchers are handled by
>     GraphMatchFinder object. While searching a graph, it collects
>     matches.
>     Each match contains a pointer to the corresponding matcher and
>     State ID
>     of this match. The way how matches are translated from one state
>     ID to
>     another is determined by matcher operators.
>

> Is this matching done after the exploded graph already built? If so,
> these checks will be unable to generate sink nodes. I think having sink
> nodes sometimes desirable even if the check itself does not have a trait.

I'm really curious about how the performance scales with the number of
checkers. Is it going to be significantly more expensive to run 100
DSL-based checkers on a fully built graph than to run 100 normal
checkers as the graph is being built?

This boils down to: by looking at the sub-matcher, will you be able to
filter out checkers that don't need to act upon the node as quickly as
you do that when calling checker callbacks?

And this immediately leads to: how difficult would it be to simply
auto-generate an old-style checker (with state traits and callbacks)
from the new-style matcher? Maybe that's something we should focus on
instead of trying to match a fully constructed graph? Maybe it'd also be
more powerful, i.e. allow certain imperative side effects whenever
partial match is encountered?

>        For example, SequenceVariadicOperator, which is the base of
>     hasSequence() matcher, has "positive" and "negative" sub-matches.
>     Each
>     positive matcher has its corresponding State ID. In order to
>     advance to
>     the next State ID, a node being matched should match all "negative"
>     matchers before the next "positive" matchers and the next "positive"
>     matcher itself. Failure in matching "negative" matcher discards
>     the match.
>
>        The role of GraphMatchFinder is similar to MatchFinder: it is only
>     responsible for graph exploration and keeping bound nodes and
>     matchers.
>
>     3. Manage bound nodes.
>        While matching a single graph node, BoundNodes from AST
>     MatchFinder
>     are used. AST matchers for path-sensitive nodes support bindings
>     out-of-the-box. However, the situation with graph matching is a bit
>     different. For graph matching, we have another system of bound nodes.
>     Each graph node has a related map of bounds aka GDMTy (yes, the
>     name is
>     not a coincidence). GDMTy is a mapping from match ID to BoundNodesMap
>     which, in part, is effectively a map from std::string to
>     DynTypedNodes.
>     This look pretty much like how GDM is organized in ExplodedGraph,
>     just
>     without one level of indirection (it can be added, though).
>
>        MatchFinder contexts should allow support of their own
>     bindings. This
>     is how equalsBoundNode() matcher works for path-sensitive nodes:
>     it just
>     queries all available contexts for the binding.
>
>     Finally, I have managed to make two checkers work in this way:
>     ChrootChecker (which is present in the introduction) and
>     TestAfterDivZeroChecker. Both them can be found in
>     ChrootCheckerV2.cpp
>     and TestAfterDivZeroCheckerV2.cpp correspondingly. They act like
>     normal
>     checkers: produce warnings and use visitors.

I wonder if our false positive suppression visitors (or maybe even
regular checker bugvisitors) can be rewritten with these matchers.
trackNullOrUndefValue() and its system of visitors doesn't look like a
matcher at all to me, unfortunately - it can potentially track an
infinite amount of events. But every individual visitor within that
system probably is.

> [...]
>     2. Dynamic matchers (clang-query interface)
>        In addition to work for supporting dynamic nodes (I don't know how
>     many efforts it can take), we need to enable matching against AST
>     nodes,
>     not graph. But it doesn't look as a problem, we can just make
>     matchers
>     polymorphic.
>     3. Binding to successfully matched paths is not implemented yet -
>     only
>     bindings to separate nodes. I wonder if we need path bindings at all.
>     4. Some corner cases are still FIXMEs: single-node sequences, for
>     example.
>     5. GDM is not based on immutable data structures like it is done
>     in CSA
>     - it is just an STL map. Its performance can be poor (full copy on
>     every
>     new node), but I don't think that changing it to use immutable
>     structures is hard.
>     6. Matching on-the-fly
>        GraphMatchFinder should support on-the-fly matching during
>     ExplodedGraph building. For this support, we should just call its
>     advance() method each time a new node is created. However, this
>     possibility wasn't checked yet.
>     7. Matching CFG and CallGraph isn't implemented because it was
>     considered to be far out of simple PoC.
>     8. Only sequential matching is available now, and I didn't try to
>     implement other operators yet. So, implementing a checker similar to
>     PthreadLock can be tricky or even impossible for now.
>
>     -------- Known and potential issues --------
>      From matchers' side:
>     1. Some tests don't pass because they rely on the checker ability to
>     generate sink nodes. Our matchers cannot do it by design so tests
>     don't
>     pass.
>     2. Representing checker bindings as a map can be less effective than
>     storing data in structures. I didn't measure the overhead, so I
>     cannot
>     give any numbers.
>     3. Matchers are called on every node independently of its type.
>     This is
>     not what CheckerManager does. I wonder if this detail can affect
>     performance as well.
>     4. Problems with cyclic dependencies. clangStaticAnalyzer has a
>     dependency on clangASTMatchers, therefore, clangASTMatchers cannot
>     depend on clangStaticAnalyzer. However, if we want ASTMatchers to
>     support static analyzer data structures, there should be a backward
>     dependency. Now this dependency is header-only.
>     5. Code duplication. This is mostly fine for a sandbox but needs
>     to be
>     reduced.
>
>      From analyzer's side:
>     1. Many events are not reflected in the final ExplodedGraph. For
>     example, checkers can receive PointerEscape event, but the event
>     itself
>     will not be recorded in the ExplodedGraph - only changes made by

Weeeell maaaaaybe. This would essentially mean passing a CheckerContext
into checkPointerEscape and checkRegionChanges. With a predecessor node
having a new sort of ProgramPoint such as "PointerEscapePoint". And we
can put the list of escaped stuff directly into the program point
instead of passing it separately.

Which means allowing state splits in these callbacks. Which of course
can be disallowed later (to keep the code that calls the callbacks
simple), and graph matchers won't need them any time soon anyway.

But it'd still be a lot of refactoring because currently these callbacks
are called from code that doesn't even know anything about nodes, eg.
from within State->invalidateRegions().