[cfe-dev] [GSoC] Proposal draft

George Karpenkov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 26 14:09:39 PDT 2018

Hi Réka,

Looks good overall!

There are two more items which could be included as super-stretch-goals: they would be very important for adoption of the project,
but fall far out of scope of the GSoC:

1) Packaging. This would be a huge barrier for adopting any Z3 work by existing analyzer users,
but maybe we can think about a few vectors where we could make the adoption easier.
E.g. how difficult would it be to add a dependency from the Debian package? Or from homebrew?

2) Stability. Z3 can segfault, bringing the entire analysis down.
The only way to address this I can think of would be running the solver out-of-process, communicating e.g. via SMT-LIB.
But that would considerably complicate the architecture and debugging, and I’m not sure the trade-offs are worth it.

George