[cfe-dev] newbie

Chris Moller via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Mar 6 08:38:25 PST 2018

I just found clang/llvm a few days ago.  It looks very cool, but if you
don't mind a right-off-the-bat observation, somewhere in the Unix-like
build recipe it would be very handy if you'd caution new users about the
memory size need to build clang.  My machine has 4GB of RAM and I had
another 4GB of swap space--and that wasn't enough. Another 4GB of swap
wasn't enough.  Ultimately, I  had to tick it up to a total of 10GB of
swap--monitoring things with the "top" utility, the biggest memory
requirement I saw was just a little short of 11GB.

In Fedora Linux, it's easy enough to create temporary additional swap
spaces, but I've no idea, if it's not the same, how to do that in other
distros.

Anyway, cool stuff, and I'm looking forward to fiddling with it.