[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Emiting linkage names for Types to Debuginfo (C++ RTTI support in GDB/LLDB)

Daniel Berlin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Mar 3 20:30:40 PST 2018

To explain to others who didn't follow that thread:

GDB currently does something amazingly stupid (and has since i wrote it) to
find the RTTI type.  There were no other good options at the type.

What it does is find the vtable for the object, find the symbol that
represents the vtable, demangle it, , chops off "vtable for", and tries to
find the symbol for the string that results.

If you don't emit the linkage name, there are cases it won't find it,
because this is a really dumb way of trying to find the answer :)

It also wont' find it depending on what demangler you use, etc.

Here's a more direct way:
For each vtable DIE, link to the concrete type it represents.

Now you just go from vtable object to concrete type with no string lookup,
which is faster, doesnt' require linkage names, doesn't depend on
demanglers matching, etc.

As an added bonus: This is what Tom Tromey already added to Rust to do
this. So it's even been implemented before.