[cfe-dev] [libc++][RFC] Implementing Directory Entry Caching forFilesystem

Aaron Ballman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 18 09:52:50 PDT 2018

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 5:53 PM, Geoffrey Romer <gromer at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:40 AM Billy O'Neal <billy.oneal at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have an example of something that is secure without caching
>> that is insecure with caching? All of the examples posted as problematic are
>> still insecure.
>

> +1. By my reading, different caching decisions can only make TOCTOU problems
> more or less acute; caching can't introduce TOCTOU problems that don't
> already exist.

That is my belief as well. However, I don't find the argument to be
persuasive, so it's a -1 from me.

> From that point of view, caching could actually be helpful,
> by making the TOCTOU problems more obvious.

Caching is hidden from the user's view, and I fail to see how
something hidden from the user's view will will make anything more
obvious. What caching does do is extend the length of time over which
TOCTOU bugs can occur, which is worse behavior from a security
perspective. Users will definitely introduce exciting TOCTOU bugs into
their code with or without the caching mechanism, but I'm worried
about worsening the effects in practice.

> The only change we could
> meaningfully make here is to give users some conditions under which
> non-modifying operations on the same file are guaranteed to reflect a single
> self-consistent state of the file (which may or may not be the present
> state), but the benefit of that seems minimal.
>
> I think this ship sailed when we decided to standardize a TOCTOU-prone API;
> all we can do now is try to educate users about what not to use
> std::filesystem for (e.g. anything remotely related to security).

"This doesn't introduce new security issues, it just makes existing
ones worse" is not an argument that leaves me with warm, fuzzy
feelings. The goal is obviously to prevent the TOCTOU bugs in the
first place, but if we cannot achieve that, we shouldn't exacerbate
the TOCTOU problems only because we can't achieve the ideal.

~Aaron