[cfe-dev] Proposing clang-tidy checks for libc++ internal development

Eric Fiselier via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 9 20:00:10 PDT 2018

Hi All,

I've been sitting on my own set of clang-tidy checks specific for libc++.
They are intended for developers of libc++, not users of it, and having
them can be quite helpful. They include:

* A reserved name check.
* Attribute not on declaration check + fix.
* Externally instantiated function is missing inline check + fix.
* Externally instantiated function with missing or incorrect visibility
attributes check + fix.

As more developers begin to work on libc++, it's useful for these checks to
be available to all of them.

I'm looking to find a way to upstream these checks. My question is:

1. Are these even appropriate to upstream?
2. If so, where should we put them?

The simple answer is to add a new `libcxx-internal` module to clang-tidy.
The obvious problem is that clang-tidy ships to all users, and to them this
module and its checks are just noise.

What do you think?

/Eric

PS. The non-complete and messy versions of the current checks can be found
here. I obviously plan to clean them up before submitting for review
upstream.
https://github.com/efcs/clang-tools-extra/tree/libcxx-tidy/clang-tidy/libcxx