[cfe-dev] [analyzer] Proof-of-concept for Matcher-like checker API (graph matchers)

Aleksei Sidorin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 2 01:39:30 PDT 2018

Hi George,

Sorry for late response.

16.06.2018 05:14, George Karpenkov via cfe-dev пишет:

>> On May 22, 2018, at 4:37 PM, Alexey Sidorin <alexey.v.sidorin at ya.ru
>> <mailto:alexey.v.sidorin at ya.ru>> wrote:
>>
>> 22.05.2018 04:35, George Karpenkov пишет:
>>> Hi Alexey,
>>>
>>> As classics say, "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program
>>> contains an ad-hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow
>>> implementation of half of Common Lisp.”
>> Yes,https://xkcd.com/297/is what I was always thinking while writing
>> new AST matchers. Time-honored tradition :)
>>>
>>> Jokes aside, I think the concept and what you are doing is great,
>>> and we could certainly benefit from declarative matchers.
>>> However, I think the actual implementation and the set of matchers
>>> and predicates would require quite a bit of bikeshedding.
>> Sure. If we need this stuff - the design details are subject for
>> discussion and change.
>>

>>> Are you familiar with similar works in this area?
>>> E.g. Oracle has a Soufflé project doing a similar task:
>>> http://souffle-lang.org <http://souffle-lang.org/>.
>>> They have found achieving high performance very challenging, and
>>> IIRC they resort to generating C++ code from the declaratively
>>> described matcher.
>> My goal was not to achieve extreme performance but not to hurt
>> analyzer's performance too much. Don't know how far I am from this
>> target, unfortunately.
>>
>>> Maybe we would have to do the same in tablegen spirit.
>>>
>>> I’m sure there are more such works in the literature.
>> Yes, I know about some researches in this area, but thank you anyway!

>>> I agree that this is a worthy goal.

>>> Bikeshedding: I think it’s much better for the sequence matcher to
>>> run from start to end,
>>> since that’s how we think about the execution of a program.
>> Not sure that I understand completely what do you mean. The nodes are
>> written in the same sequence as they should be on the path in
>> ExplodedGraph.
>
> Yeah, but that doesn’t matter, right? We need to get a good API for
> checker writers, and the events are generally described in their
> progression as going forward.
Sorry, I still didn't get you. The events in the matcher are already
described in the order they should happen to report a bug:
1. Call to `chroot`.
2. Do not call `chdir("/")`.
3. Call anything but `chdir("/").
Or do you mean something else?

> Also “explodedNode” is probably an unfortunate name, and “node” would
> be better.
Naming is always a subject to change.

> I am also confused by the semantics of your list, since it mixes AST
> and “node” statements.
In this example, statement matchers are implicitly converted to exploded
node matchers and are applied only to ExplodedNodes that have StmtPoint
as their ProgramPoint. Initially, I was thinking it is a good idea but
soon discovered that I was wrong because it causes a mess between all
kinds of StmtPoint. This implicit conversions is likely to be removed.
There is also another implicit conversion from ProgramPoint matcher to
ExplodedNode matcher and I found it to be much more useful.
> Why is only the last matcher wrapped in “node”?
All sub-matchers of `hasSequence()` are matchers on ExplodedNode, but we
need to emit a warning on the last node, so we need something to bind
against. The bound node is used to emit a warning on it.