[cfe-dev] [analyzer] exploration strategies and paths

Anna Zaks via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jan 31 22:15:12 PST 2018

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 9:59 PM, George Karpenkov <ekarpenkov at apple.com> wrote:
>
> On sqlite there are 8 new reports and one removed reports.
>
> I think it’s natural that the number is high. In many cases we are saving 3x of the analyzer budget,
> which is then spent finding new bugs.

A high jump in basic blocks coverage could be explained by your argument. (By the way, have you measured that?)

However, whenever I see that we start reporting hundreds of new bugs on a single codebase it looks suspicious. Will the developers really want and need to fix more than 3 hundred bugs on postgresql? Often when we dig deeper we find out that either we became too aggressive in reporting what people will view as false positives or we are reporting duplicate reports that have the same underlying cause. It’s possible postgresql is really that buggy, but we really need to be careful here.