[cfe-dev] [analyzer][RFC] Test all checkers on all tests

Ilya Palachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jan 18 04:59:32 PST 2018

Hi,

There is an idea for CSA testing. Currently each checker has it own test
file(s) on which it is tested. Each checker has its own development
history, and many of them were tested on code bases highly different
from each other. That's why one checker may crash (i.e. produce
assertion fail or UNREACHABLE) for code base on which it was never tested.

We tried to launch all checkers on all tests, by replacing `-verify'
flags with `-analyzer-checker=<list of all packages>' through the
lit.local.cfg (using config.substitutions.append method). A lot of
crashes are obtained on our version of CSA (which is somehow different
from upstream, however).

Moreover, we even tried Sema/SemaCXX tests and obtained several more
crashes. Test files usually describe some corner cases, so this method
will allow to test the analyzer on them.

I believe that such testing mode can be useful to improve the analyzer
stability. Does anybody have any ideas, would it be appropriate? Should
we add this mode to the default make check, or create a separate target
for it?

--
Best regards,
Ilya Palachev