[cfe-dev] Why is #pragma STDC FENV_ACCESS not supported?

Kevin P. Neal via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jan 9 11:36:34 PST 2018

On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 06:53:51PM +0000, Kaylor, Andrew via cfe-dev wrote:
>    I think we're going to need to create a new mechanism to communicate
>    strict FP modes to the backend. I think we need to avoid doing anything
>    that will require re-inventing or duplicating all of the pattern
>    matching that goes on in instruction selection (which is the reason
>    we're currently dropping that information). I'm out of my depth on this
>    transition, but I think maybe we could handle it with some kind of
>    attribute on the MBB.
>

>    In C/C++, at least, it's my understanding that the pragmas always apply
>    at the scope-level (as opposed to having the possibility of being
>    instruction-specific), and we've previously agreed that our
>    implementation will really need to apply the rules across entire
>    functions in the sense that if any part of a function uses the
>    constrained intrinsics all FP operations in the function will need to
>    use them (though different metadata arguments may be used in different
>    scopes). So I think that opens our options a bit.

If the pragma applies to the entire function then would it be as simple
as a pass to convert intrinsic calls into whatstheterm SNodes (?) after
the optimization passes have run? Meaning, we can bypass any changes to
the AST?

That would still leave the backend changes to be done, of course.

BTW, I thought that optimization passes were allowed to drop metadata. So
what happens to the metadata on the constrained intrinsic calls? Or am
I mixing up two different metadatas?

>    Regarding constant folding, I think you are correct that it isn't
>    happening anywhere in the backends at the moment. There is some
>    constant folding done during instruction selection, but the existing
>    mechanism prevents that. My concern is that given LLVM's development
>    model, if there is nothing in place to prevent constant folding and no
>    consensus that it shouldn't be allowed then we should probably believe
>    that someone will eventually do it.

How would you prevent it?

>    -Andy

"What is mathematics? The age-old answer is, of course, that mathematics
 is what mathematicians do." - Donald Knuth