[cfe-dev] [GSOC 2018] Mentors and projects needed! Any help appreciated.

Dean Michael Berris via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Feb 19 19:49:34 PST 2018

Hi Tanya,

Is it too late to get some smaller projects for XRay in there?

Here's two:

XRay Function Coverage Mode: Implementing an XRay mode to gather function
call coverage information. This will be useful in determining which
functions in an application has been called either on-demand or throughout
its lifetime.

XRay Converters: Implementing conversion tools for XRay traces into
different formats. Some that come to mind are the Common Tracing Format,
SQL (to be loaded into databases), etc.

I'm volunteering to be a mentor for the XRay projects too.

Hope this helps!

On Sat, Feb 3, 2018 at 7:37 AM Tanya Lattner via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> The LLVM project has had many years of success with the Google Summer of
> Code project and we would really like to continue our participation.
> However, without the support of more community members, we fear that we may
> not be selected as an organization this year. They are already reviewing
> projects and to improve our chances of participation *we need more
> projects and mentors listed on the GSOC 2018 webpage*.
>
> https://llvm.org/OpenProjects.html#gsoc18
>
> *Time is of the essence here*. If you can think of a project that you
> think would be a useful addition or improvement to LLVM or a sub-project,
> please list it. If you personally can’t mentor then reach out to others who
> might be a good fit and maybe they could mentor or share responsibilities
> with you. I am sure there is no shortage of work to be done :) Its just a
> matter of getting it on our projects page or finding a mentor for an
> existing project listed.
>
> GSOC has been a great program for so many students. Many have gone on to
> find internships or even full time jobs at companies working with LLVM and
> related projects. Companies have found great employees through mentoring a
> student. Its a great introduction to many students into the world of open
> source and the LLVM project. There are so many positives to this program
> and we really hope to continue being a part of it.
>
> If you can help, please go ahead and add a project to the page or
> volunteer to be a mentor. If you don’t feel comfortable modifying the
> webpage, send me a patch and I will do it for you.
>
> Thank you!
> -Tanya

-- Dean