[cfe-dev] Over-aligned vst1.64 and vld1.64 for arm-linux-androideabi

Friedman, Eli via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 8 12:10:43 PST 2018

On 2/7/2018 5:53 PM, Greg McGary via cfe-dev wrote:
> I am seeing clang for arm-linux-androideabi emit 16-byte-aligned
> vst1.64 and vld1.64, but the ABI only guarantees 8-byte alignment.
> Result at runtime is SIGBUS. Since clang emits "#define
> __BIGGEST_ALIGNMENT__ 8", it is aware of the ABI's maximum alignment.

__BIGGEST_ALIGNMENT__ is not the alignment of any particular object;
some pointers have lower alignment, some pointers have higher
alignment.  And the compiler will raise the alignment of a load or store
if it can prove the pointer is sufficiently aligned.

It's hard to say more without a testcase.

-Eli