[cfe-dev] How can clang (built with Visual Studio) work with MinGW gcc-toolchain?

Fangqing Du via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 1 14:27:08 PST 2018

Hi cfe-dev,

I downloaded the pre-built clang from llvm official download page. And find
that it's built with Visual Studio.
But locally I haven't install Visual Studio yet.
My question is: How can clang work with my local pre-installed MInGW
gcc-toolchain?

For eg:
If the design files include <cstdio> or something like header files, it
will error out with following error message:
C:\>"C:\Program Files\LLVM\bin\clang++.exe" main.cpp
main.cpp:1:10: fatal error: 'cstdio' file not found
#include <cstdio>
         ^
1 error generated.

So is there any option, like '-gcc-toolchain' option on Linux platform to
specify a header file path, to let the clang (build with Visual Studio) to
find the header files AUTOMATICALLY, not though '-I' option?

I tried '-gcc-toolchain' on Windows platform, it cannot work, and put
following warning message:
C:\>"C:\Program Files\LLVM\bin\clang++.exe" main.cpp dut.cpp -gcc-toolchain
"C:\\mingw64"
clang++.exe: warning: argument unused during compilation:
'--gcc-toolchain=C:\\msys64\\mingw64'

Thanks a lot!
Fangqing