[cfe-dev] OpenCL Generic Address Spaces - CodeGen (was Re: [llvm-dev] AliasAnalysis does not look though a memcpy)

Finkel, Hal J. via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 6 11:07:30 PST 2018

Hi, Andrew,

I'd like to fork this part of the thread and move it to cfe-dev. My best
advice is to handle this in Clang, not LLVM, and I've cc'd Richard and
John for their advice. More inline...

On 12/6/18 10:46 AM, Andrew Savonichev wrote:

>>> From a frontend perspective, a GAS pointer is just a pointer:
>>>
>>>   void foo(int *p, int *q) { *p = 42; *q = 43; };
>>>
>>> Until Clang reaches a call site, it has no idea about real address
>>> spaces of `p' and `q'. When we do reach a call site, `foo()' can already
>>> be CodeGen'ed, so we can't really change anything.
>> Is this supposed to work like template instantiation? Are you guaranteed
>> to only get one (unique) set of address spaces for the function
>> arguments?
>>
> Yes, just like in C++ template, if `foo' is called with different sets
> of address spaces, a compiler have to create different function
> instantiations for each set.

I think that you should handle this in Clang using TreeTransform, in a
sense, just like C++ template instantiation. See
lib/Sema/TreeTransform.h, and there are a number of examples in lib/Sema
of transforms using this infrastructure. Using TreeTransform you would
create variants of each function with the right address spaces, based on
usage, and then emit them all during CodeGen. because you'd do this
prior to code generation, you don't need to worry about the emission
ordering.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel