[cfe-dev] Xray with shared libraries?

Steve Lesser via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 27 14:59:58 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I have been unsuccessfully trying to use Xray with shared libraries
following the instructions on https://llvm.org/docs/XRay.html . When
compiling and linking binaries such as a google test runner with
'-fxray-instrument' I get results from any code built from the executable
itself, but code from shared libraries also built with '-fxray-instrument'
never appear in the results. This is all in C++, linux, x86_64

I don't see any references to restrictions or special set up for shared
libraries in the docs, but I see one mention in
https://reviews.llvm.org/D38226 saying

'The XRay runtime currently doesn't support dynamic registration of
instrumentation sleds in shared objects, which we'll start enabling in
the future. That work has to happen in the back-end and in the runtime.'

Does this mean Xray with shared libraries is unsupported at this time?

Cheers,
Steve