[cfe-dev] Clang's string type?

Marcus Johnson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Aug 23 12:53:42 PDT 2018

I was looking over the code for Clang's format specifier checking
(Primarily the FormatStringHandler class) and I noticed that the issue is
that everything is built on standard C strings.

Does Clang/LLVM even have a string class that supports Unicode (at least
UTF-16, and hopefully UTF-32)?

In order to support wprintf, we'd have to support UTF-16 in the API, which
would amount to a massive patch set for pretty much everything.

and templates wouldn't even work, because they are "lowered" at compile
time, not runtime, and the last thing anyone wants is 2 seperate versions
of Clang, one that supports UTF-8 (and ANSI codepages), and another that
supports UTF-16/wchar.