[cfe-dev] Incomplete binary distribution windows

degski via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 8 21:52:13 PDT 2018

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 at 20:49, Zachary Turner <zturner at google.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately the new integration will *not* work in vs2015. I meant to
> fix this in the vsix (that was the other change I forgot to push). The
> reason is that the ability of an extension to properly install itself as a
> toolchain only became possible in 2017, so there’s no way that I’m aware to
> even do this in 2015 with a vsix.

There seem to be (not me) an awful lot of people that cannot/don't want to
move from VS15 (or even VS13/12), so the above is unfortunate as we seem to
have moved from one extreme to the other. If one assumes a standard
installation of VS17, changing the (old) installer batch file to also
install for VS17 is not too hard. There is also this utility
https://github.com/Microsoft/vswhere, which can help, in case of
non-standard installations. I'm not sure whether dealing with those more
complex situations is desirable, though. The people with the more complex
installations are probably also capable enough to get things working
correctly and satisfactory "old school".

Have a nice day,

degski
--
*"If something cannot go on forever, it will stop" - Herbert Stein*