[cfe-dev] getLocStart versus getStartLoc

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Aug 7 16:05:15 PDT 2018

(Explicitly adding a few more people for visibility.)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 at 13:19, Stephen Kelly via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Stephen Kelly via cfe-dev wrote:
>
> > Richard Smith via cfe-dev wrote:
> >> We have historically taken the position that the churn caused for
> >> out-of-tree users of the C++ API are not a consideration when performing
> >> an API refactoring. (For two reasons: one is that we explicitly do not
> >> have a stable C++ API; the other is that this is the mechanism by which
> >> we encourage people to upstream changes.) This actually seems like a
> >> relatively easy change in that regard: client code can be largely
> updated
> >> by a regular expression.
> >
> > Great, I'll look into doing this in a bit.
>
> I've pushed some Phab reviews to complete the port.  For convenience, the
> commits can be seen together on my github:
>
>  https://github.com/steveire/clang/commits/API-cleanup
>
>  https://github.com/steveire/clang-tools-extra/commits/API-cleanup
>
> My intention is to push all except the actual removal of the old API at
> first, then push the removal of the old API 3 or so weeks later.

Thanks, the patches all look fine to me, but please use the
LLVM_ATTRIBUTE_DEPRECATED macro rather than [[deprecated]] for the
deprecation patch.

Please also ping https://reviews.llvm.org/D50353 when you think it's time
to commit that; we should make sure that people tracking SVN trunk have had
enough time to move to the new names before removing the old ones.

Also, please make sure the LLVM subprojects that use clang as a library
(lldb, clang-tools-extra) are updated.