[cfe-dev] [RFC] Improving import failure checking strategy inside ASTImporter

Aleksei Sidorin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Apr 27 08:54:48 PDT 2018

Hello Gabor,

Thank you for the reply!

26.04.2018 12:39, Gábor Márton пишет:
> Hi Aleksei,
>
> It is a great and welcoming initiative to identify the weaknesses in
> the ASTImporter.
>
> About, handling the error case after a call:
> I couldn't agree more that this is a burden to always have a check at
> the call site, but this is the price we pay for not having exceptions.
> By using macros I have a feeling that the code would be even less
> readable because we would hide control flow modifications inside the
> macro, also because finally we'd need to create so many different
> kinds of macros.
> As far as I know, there are cases where an `Import` can return a
> `nullptr` or a default even in case of non-error situations, please
> correct me if I am wrong. Thus, introducing an optional like return
> type would require to discover all these cases. Still, I think this
> would worth it, because the enforcement of error checking (as you
> mentioned), plus it would make it more explicit which situation is
> really an error.
Yes, this is what I described as problem (2).

> Actually, I think this should be done with a few large commits, e.g.
> once we change the return type of `ASTImporter::Import(Decl*)` to
> `Optional<Decl*>` then we have to change all call sites.
> By introducing an `ImportOrError` and then doing the changes gradually
> would result the same final state as if we had done it in one larger
> step where we changed all call sites, but until all call sites are
> changed we have to maintain both `Import` and `ImportOrError`.
>

> Beside the problem of handling the error case after an `Import` call
> we have observed several other weaknesses, and would like to hear your
> opinion about them as well.
> So, the list of problems so far:
>
> - Do the same things after and before a new AST node is created (::Create)
> The original import logic should be really simple, we create the node,
> then we mark that as imported, then we recursively import the parts
> for that node and then set them on that node.
That sounds pretty good, and this is what I was thinking about some time
ago. You mean something like CreateDeserialized?
The problem here are Types: their creation requires all dependencies to
be imported before the Type is created. I don't know how to deal with it.

> However, the AST is actually a graph, so we have to handle circles.
> If we mark something as imported (Imported()) then we return with the
> corresponding To whenever we want to import that node again, this way
> circles are handled.
> In order to make this algorithm work we must ensure things, which are
> not enforced in the current ASTImporter:
> * There are no Import() calls in between any node creation (::Create)
> and the Imported() call.
> * There are no VisitXXX() calls in any other VisitYYY() function, only
> call of Import() allowed.
> * Before actually creating an AST node (::Create), we must check if
> the Node had been imported already, if yes then return with that one.
> One very important case for this is connected to templates: we may
> start an import both from the templated decl of a template and from
> the template itself.
> There are good news, the first and third points can be enforced by
> providing a variadic forwarding template for the creation, we are
> currently preparing to upstream this change from our fork
> (https://github.com/Ericsson/clang/pull/354/files) but this is going
> to be a huge change.
> Still, I have no idea how to enforce the second point. (Maybe a checker?)
If I remember correctly, this pattern is not widely used and such code
can be refactored easily.

> - Decl chains are not imported
> Currently we import declarations only if there is no available definition.
> If in the "From" TU there are both a declaration and a definition we
> import only the definition.
> Thus we do not import all information from the original AST.
> One example:
>      struct B { virtual void f(); };
>      void B::f() {}
> Here, when we import the definition, then the virtual flag is not
> getting imported, so finally we import a function as a non-virtual
> function.
> An other problem is with recursive functions:
>      void f(); void f() { f(); }
> When we import the prototype then we end up having two identical
> definitions for f(), and no prototype.
> We again preparing a patch for this, but this solves the problem only
> in case of functions.
Yes, I have met this problem before. I tried to import all redeclaration
chain but haven't completed the work. One of problems here is how to
stick the redeclaration chain to an existing declaration.

> By not importing the whole decl chain we loose all attributes which
> may be present only in declarations.
>
> - Structural Equivalency
> There are several holes here. E.g. we do not check the member
> functions in a class for equivalency, only members.
> Thus, we may end up stating that a forward decl is equivalent with a
> class definition if the class does not have data members.
> There are no tests at all for structural equivalency.
> In our fork we have some tests, and planning to upstream them too.
>
> - Minimal import
> This feature is used by LLDB, but not at all in CTU. This feature
> makes the code bigger and more complex.
> There are 0 unit tests for minimal import, whatever information we
> have about this we can get only from the lldb repo.
I think we need to discuss this with LLDB folks (lldb-dev?).
Unfortunately, Sean Callanan (who was an active reviewer and committer)
left the project and Jim Ingham never participated in ASTImporter reviews.

> - Lookup
> The way we lookup names during an import of a decl is getting really
> complex, especially with respect to friends.
What is even worse is that the lookup (which is pretty harmless itself)
requires import of DeclContexts - possibly, including the declaration we
are going to search for (and that makes its logic much more complicated).

> We find an already imported function from an unnamed namespace, thus
> we simply skip the import of a function in an other TU if that has the
> same name and that is also in an unnamed namespace
> (https://github.com/Ericsson/clang/issues/335).
Never noticed this problem before, thank you. I'm also not sure if
import of TU-local data structures with same names is performed
correctly now.
> We still use `localUncachedLookup` which can be very inefficient, we
> should be using `noload_lookup`.
This can be true. Do you have any numbers? For me, import correctness
has greater priority now than speed optimizations, but this can be
useful for future improvements.

Best regards,
Aleksei Sidorin,
SRR, Samsung Electronics