[cfe-dev] [analyzer] _Nonnull types and checking null constraints in checkBind

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 26 10:26:59 PDT 2018

Hi!

This is a philosophical question to some extent. I think what _Nonnull
means at the return value is that in case all the preconditions of a
function is met the result will never be null.
So in case a function has a _Nonnull parameter and a _Nonnull return value
and the caller passes null, the function is free to return null.

Of course, passing null to this function was an error in the first place.

There is a tradeoff, constraining these values to not being null will
reduce the coverage and lots of the errors found by the analyzer are
actually in the error handling code.
But having this information might increase the precision of the analysis.

I think the reason why it was developed that way there were lots of legacy
APIs where the clients relied on the behavior that a _Nonnull function
(which was not annotated
in the past of course,) returns null when its precondition is not met.

Maybe people started to fix such code and now it makes sense to change this
behavior?

Regards,
Gábor