[cfe-dev] Checking if a ParmVarDecl is null in a Checker

Artem Dergachev via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 24 16:44:22 PDT 2018

Hmm, ok, the problem may also be there:

> (void)outError; // Added as a precaution in reference to
> <http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2017-April/053510.html>

Because in this case you're still doing your check *after* the
precaution code which is the last use of the variable.

You might want to move (or rather duplicate) your check into
checkDeadSymbols(). Because once the symbol is dead, there's no way the
program would be able to constrain it or initialize the memory it points
to. So you can warn immediately when the symbol is dead, based on the
information that's already available, assuming that we're still within
the function of interest.

I believe that the check in checkEndFunction is still necessary in case
the function of interest is also inlined during analysis, because in
this case the symbol may remain alive for a separate reason (still
referenced by the caller).

Note - this is a guess, i didn't actually look at how it works. The
easiest way for you to understand that is to dump the "exploded graph"
and see everything for yourself, as explained in
http://clang-analyzer.llvm.org/checker_dev_manual.html#visualizing