[cfe-dev] JumboSupport: making unity builds easier in Clang

Mostyn Bramley-Moore via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 10 23:59:02 PDT 2018

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 1:41 AM, Mostyn Bramley-Moore <mostynb at vewd.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>

>>> and slows down incremental builds.

>>> Say you touch some header foo.h. Previously, you needed to rebuild all
>>> cc files including it. Now you need to instead rebuild the module, and
>>> since the module has changed you now need to rebuild all cc files using any
>>> header in the module, not just the users of foo.h. That's potentially way
>>> more cc files.
>>>

>> But say you touch some source file foo.cc. Previously, and with modules,
>> you just need to rebuild that cc file. With a unity build, you now instead
>> need to rebuild the concatenation of that .cc file and a bunch of others.
>> That's also potentially way more cc files. :)
>>
>> But measurements beat speculation here.
>>

> Here's one data point: on a non-ccache, non-distributed build on a fairly
> high end machine (20 CPU cores, 40 threads), I built a subset of Chromium
> (content_shell) in both jumbo and non-jumbo mode.  Then I picked a single
> source file that is in part of the tree that we have previously made
> jumbo-capable (content/public/renderer/browser_plugin_delegate.cc),
> touched it and timed how long the rebuilds would take in both jumbo and
> non-jumbo mode.  The target that this source file is part of has 16 source
> files in total. which is smaller than the default jumbo_merge_file_limit
> value of 50, so to rebuild this one source file in jumbo mode requires that
> we also rebuild the other 15 source files in this target, which will not be
> done in parallel since they're all in a single jumbo compilation unit- in
> other words this is a moderately bad scenario for jumbo.
>
> The non-jumbo rebuild + relink time on this machine was between 9 and 10
> seconds, and the jumbo rebuild + relink time was 23-24 seconds- a little
> more than double, but still nowhere near "time to grab a coffee while I
> wait" territory.  This time is easily won back in jumbo mode if you need to
> rebase on master, or build another target or configuration.
>
> If you find yourself in a modify/rebuild/retest loop in this code, you can
> try a workflow optimisation mentioned in Daniel Bratell's doc (and earlier
> in this thread): turn jumbo off for just this target but on for all others,
> and you only have a one-time overhead of regenerating ninja files (which is
> quick) plus rebuilding 15 source files once in parallel.  Then you only
> need to rebuild a single source file each time around the loop.
>
> I am currently running the same benchmark on a lower-specced machine, one
> which is more realistic for many developers: a 4 core / 8 thread CPU
> workstation, but the test setup is excruciatingly slow to prepare so I will
> have to report back tomorrow with the numbers.  I expect the rebuild times
> to be comparable, since this test cannot make use of multiple CPU cores
> simultaneously (other than maybe parallel linking).  But the clean-build
> time speedup for this configuration is known to be a big net win in terms
> of absolute time saved (jumbo builds something like ~3x faster than

Results on my 4c/8t reference machine:
non-jumbo rebuild + relink time: about 7 seconds
jumbo rebuild + relink time: about 18 seconds

So a slightly higher percentage increase than my larger machine, but lower
absolute time increase.

The storage systems in these two machines are wildly different, but I
suspect the main difference in this benchmark is the frequency of the cores
(higher in the lower-specced machine).

-Mostyn.