[cfe-dev] Getting DecompositionDecl from BindingDecl

George Karpenkov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 2 13:52:31 PDT 2018

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply!

> On Mar 30, 2018, at 8:49 PM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> Right, sure, but I don’t have a convenient way to find that DecompositionDecl from a given BindingDecl,
> and sometimes I need to act based on the BindingDecl alone.
>
> Can you give an example?

Let’s say a structured binding is written into, and then some function is called, and then we read from that binding again.
If it was global, we have to assume any function call can invalidate it, but if it’s local and it wasn’t passed as a parameter,
chances are it will remain the same.

> It was chosen because it matches the semantic model desired by the designers of the feature. For example, you can't handle bitfields if you model structured bindings as reference variables.
>
> This was a somewhat controversial decision, but it doesn't look like it's going to be reversed.
>> That's what the CFG for the above function should represent.
>
> Sorry, I’m not sure what do you mean here: from my understanding, CFG does not transform AST inside statements (apart from maybe tiny syntactic things).
>
> IIRC, the CFG expands CXXDefaultArgExprs and CXXDefaultInitExprs; this case is analogous to those.

Yes, you are right; To be honest, I wasn’t previously familiar with that part of the codebase.
Yet still, those are very simple replacements, and IIRC those are the only two.

Supporting structured bindings would be indeed easier if we could have a simpler AST,
could you give an advice on what would be an equivalent AST we should rewrite to?

Would producing a MemberExpr reading from the struct at *use* time be completely semantically equivalent?
My previous impression was that for structured bindings load from the struct happens when the binding occurs,
not when the actual read is performed.
[though of course such rewrites would impede producing good diagnostic messages for the user]