[cfe-dev] [RFC] Introduce HIP language mode

Liu, Yaxun (Sam) via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Apr 2 09:36:29 PDT 2018

Hi Tom,

HIP on HCC is an existing open-source out-of-tee implementation of HIP. HIP on clang is a new implementation which is independent of HCC. Since HIP is very similar to CUDA, implementing it directly in clang trunk make it easier to upstream therefore result in higher quality.

After HIP is fully supported in clang trunk, we may consider removing HCC specific implementation details from HIP runtime. Of course HCC as an independent language has its own advantages and will still continue to exist.

Sam