[cfe-dev] Flexible array members in ObjC classes

Nat! via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 21 03:29:50 PDT 2017

David Chisnall schrieb:

>> Obviously I am just speaking from my fragile-ABI only perspective :)
>
> I don’t believe that fragile ABI usage should dictate the language, given that existing recent language features (e.g. ivar declarations in @implementations and class extensions) rely on the non-fragile behaviour.

My main objection with the the error instead of the warning is, that by
making it an error, you are implicitly shoving 'final' into Objective-C
through the backdoor.

@interface Foo
{
    char final[];  // can't subclass anymore :P
}
@end

I am perfectly fine with the non-fragile/ARC part of Objective-C going
hogwild, with whatever they want to do. I am obviously unhappy, if
that's to the detriment of non-fragile. I don't really think that's
"dictating" though. :)

Ciao
    Nat!