[cfe-dev] [RFC] Add include-what-you-use tool to clang-tools-extra

Kim Gräsman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 8 02:15:09 PDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 6:03 PM, Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Reimplementing the tool using the tooling available in the LLVM project
> would seem more appropriate to an LLVM-project tool. J
>
> I am not really familiar with the original IWYU tool, but one thing I
> remember from James' work is that it would be fairly easy to implement
> different policies.  For example, minimizing the number of #includes, versus
> always directly including the header that declares everything actually used
> in the source.  That kind of flexibility is great.

I think exploring a new IWYU would be interesting and rewarding. It
would be nice if such an initiative could build on the IWYU test suite
in some form, I suspect that the easy cases are easy to get right, and
that some of the complexity in the current IWYU comes from the edge
cases.

That said, some/much(?) of the IWYU complexity is probably incidental,
and it would be nice to clean that up.

I'm not sure the most productive way to do that is to start from
scratch, though.

- Kim