[cfe-dev] Cannot run make check-clang (with gcc version 4.8.4 on ubuntu 14.04)

James Dennett via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 18 11:39:49 PDT 2017

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 10:07 AM, Seth Goldstein via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> When trying to check clang I get a gcc internal error.
> gcc --version reports: gcc (Ubuntu 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.3) 4.8.4
> Suggestions?
>
> prompt> make check-clang
> [ 95%] Building CXX object tools/clang/unittests/Basic/
> CMakeFiles/BasicTests.dir/FileManagerTest.cpp.o
> In file included from /home/seth/research/uli/src/
> compiler/llvm/utils/unittest/googletest/include/gtest/
> gtest-param-test.h:193:0,
>                  from /home/seth/research/uli/src/
> compiler/llvm/utils/unittest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:62,
>                  from /home/seth/research/uli/src/
> compiler/llvm/tools/clang/unittests/Basic/FileManagerTest.cpp:17:
> /home/seth/research/uli/src/compiler/llvm/utils/unittest/
> googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-param-util-generated.h:1442:9:
> internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
>    const T26 v26_;
>          ^
> Please submit a full bug report,
> See <file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.8/README.Bugs> for instructions.
> The bug is not reproducible, so it is likely a hardware or OS problem.

The last line above may be relevant.  "When debian gcc encounters an
internal error it tries to run the code through the compilation core again.
If it gets the same results every time it assumes it really is a bug in the
compiler core. If it doesn't then you get the "The bug is not reproducible,
so it is likely a hardware or OS problem." message."  Can you reproduce
this on a different machine, or run memtest on the problematic one?

-- James