[cfe-dev] clang-tidy / static analysis

Maurizio Vitale via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Nov 21 18:52:58 PST 2017

Hello again,

I'm working on putenv->setenv rewrite as a way to get my feet wet with
clang-tidy

I managed to get detection working fine. Now I'm starting working on
recommending fixes and I'd like to reduce the matches to what I'm able to
rewrite.
The first should capture a simple putenv("VAR=VALUE"). The following works
in clang-query:

clang-query> let p callee(functionDecl(hasName("::putenv")))
clang-query> match callExpr(p, argumentCountIs(1), hasArgument(0,
stringLiteral().bind("arg")))

Match #1:

/tmp/mav_clang/build/../third_party/clang-tools-extra/test/c
lang-tidy/misc-putenv.cpp:7:10: note: "arg" binds here
  putenv("VAR=VALUE");
         ^~~~~~~~~~~
/tmp/mav_clang/build/../third_party/clang-tools-extra/test/clang-tidy/misc-putenv.cpp:7:3:
note: "root" binds here
  putenv("VAR=VALUE");
  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1 match.

But when I convert it to code in a clang-tidy check, as in:

  auto putenvCallee = callee(functionDecl(hasName("::putenv")));

  auto putenvConstantCallMatcher =
      callExpr(putenvCallee, argumentCountIs(1),
                   hasArgument(0, stringLiteral().bind("putenv_arg")))
          .bind("putenv_call");

  Finder->addMatcher(putenvConstantCallMatcher, this);

the match fails.

I'm a bit puzzled by clang-query behaving differently from the compiled
checker.

If I replace the stringLiteral() matcher with expr(), then it does match,
but it is too loose of a match.

I'm probably missing something obvious and I would appreciate any help.
[feel free to throw away my matchers and show me the proper way to match
::putenv("a string") and not ::putenv(a_char_ptr_var)]

Thanks a lot,

   Maurizio