[cfe-dev] ASan alloc-dealloc-mismatch and placement new

Stephan Bergmann via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 13 23:10:30 PST 2017

On 11/14/2017 12:41 AM, Kostya Serebryany wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 7:55 AM, Stephan Bergmann via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>
>     For a C++ program like
>
>         #include <new>
>         int main() {
>              char * p1 = new char[sizeof (int)];
>              int * p2 = new(p1) int;
>              delete p2;
>         }
>

>     compiling it with -fsanitize=address will somewhat unhelpfully
>     report an "AddressSanitizer: alloc-dealloc-mismatch (operator new []
>     vs operator delete)" failure.
>
>     Is there a good way to work around that
>
> Why not use "delete [] p1"?

Because in the real program, p2 is then passed off to some API that
takes ownership, and internally calls delete.  And both real and fake
int* are handed off to that API, and I don't even control that API's
implementation, so it can't be changed to a delete[] of the char array
there.  Also, the real program uses a class type with non-trivial
destructor instead of int.  (I probably should have been more careful
when crafting this stripped-down example.)

(But the more I think about it, the less I'm sure the code is even legal...)