[cfe-dev] Tracking variable endieness at compile time (C language)

Anatol Pomozov via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 12 10:17:44 PST 2017

Hello

On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 9:22 PM, Anatol Pomozov
<anatol.pomozov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am writing a code that deals with low-level PCI machinery. I need to
> read data from PCI config  MMIO. The data from device can be 8/16/32
> bits long and per specification it is little-endien. I have a set of
> macroses that convert from little-endien to CPU endieness. I have to
> use these macroses every time I access PCI config data. CPU endieness
> depends on CPU architecture and can be either little- or big-endien.
>
> I am looking for a way that helps me to detect errors when I access
> little-endien fields without proper conversion macros. I am thinking
> about following solution - have a marker macros called __le __be that
> tells compiler this field has specific endieness:
>
> struct virtio_net_hdr {
>     __le uint8_t flags;
>     __le uint8_t gso_type;
>     __le uint16_t hdr_len;
>     __le uint16_t gso_size;
>     __le uint16_t csum_start;
>     __le uint16_t csum_offset;
> };
>
> If we try to access the field as
> hdr->hdr_len = 20;
>
> then compiler should either:
>
> 1) report an error and tell me that there is endieness mismatch
> between hdr->hdr_len and const '20'. The right way would be to use
> cpu_to_le() macro like:
> hdr->hdr_len = cpu_to_le(20);
>
> 2) Or maybe compiler can completely automate conversion and call
> __builtin_bswap16()/__builtin_bswap32/.. functions for us
> automatically?
>

> Is there any existing solution that does something similar. Quick
> googling did not give me anything useful. Could it be a part of core
> compiler functionality? Or as a third-party compiler plugin?

Actually instead of a marker macro it is better to have an attribute.
It can be applied to a variable or struct. If applied to struct then
all fields of the struct inherit the provided endianness. Here is a
proposed example of usage

__attribute__ ((endianness(little))) uint32_t pci_id;

__attribute__ ((endianness(big))) struct arp_header {
  uint16_t hw_type;
  uint16_t proto_type;
  uint8_t hw_len;
  uint8_t proto_len;
}

This attribute enables automatic byte swapping when accessing the fields.

UPDATE: After more searching I found that GCC implements
scalar_storage_order attribute [1]. I tested following example [2]
with 7.1.0 and I see that gcc uses 'bswap' ASM instruction when
accessing the struct fields. Yep that is exactly what I am looking
for. But it seems the feature is not present in Clang. I wonder if
Clang developers have plans to implement this feature.

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-7.2.0/gcc/Common-Type-Attributes.html#Common-Type-Attributes
[2] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45589653/does-g-support-scalar-storage-order