[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] proposal - pragma section directive in clang

Jonathan Roelofs via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Mar 13 11:12:57 PDT 2017

On 3/10/17 2:47 AM, James Molloy via llvm-dev wrote:
> +llvm-dev properly this time.
>
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 at 09:42 James Molloy <james at jamesmolloy.co.uk
> <mailto:james at jamesmolloy.co.uk>> wrote:
>

>     The documentation is here:
>     http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0472m/chr1359124985290.html
>
>     ** Proposed syntax and (vague) semantics **
>
>     As this is a new pragma for Clang and isn't ARM-specific, we've
>     invented a less ARM-specific syntax. Bikeshedding is expected and
>     welcome.
>
>       #pragma clang section bss(".mybss") rodata(".myrodata")
>     data(".mydata") text(".mytext")

There's some prior art in the GreenHills compiler too, where the example
above would be spelled:

     #pragma ghs section bss=".mybss", rodata=".myrodata",
data=".mydata", text=".mytext"

Maybe it's worth using that syntax, i.e:

     #pragma clang section bss=".mybss", rodata=".myrodata",
data=".mydata", text=".mytext"

Alternatively, supporting vendor-specific spellings might be useful, if
there's a consistency argument to be made for clang doing it its own way.

Docs are pages 108/109 here:
http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~cmpe490/documents/ghs/build_arm.pdf

Jon

--