[cfe-dev] Setting default dialect to C++11

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Mar 9 12:57:47 PST 2017

On 8 March 2017 at 10:25, Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com> wrote:

> > Richard Smith asked:
> >> Would raising the language standard to C++14 cause problems for PS4
> >> or MSVC? Is the constraint there "at least C++11" (because, say, the
> >> system headers are written in C++11) or "exactly C++11" (and if so,
> >> why?)?
> >
> > A default dialect for a particular platform is not solely dependent on
> > the toolchain; the platform must support the appropriate standard
> > headers and libraries.  I have not investigated whether we have (or
> > plan to have) what's needed for 14 or 17, although I can ask.  (Seems
> > to me I've done this before but I can't find a record of it.)  Note
> > that we do not use either libcxx or libstdc++.
> > --paulr
>
> My management is not opposed to raising the default to C++14 in 5.0.
> Obviously we'll want to crank up our internal testing, and make sure
> we have the new library bits in place, but we have time to do that.

Would you also be prepared to raise the default C standard from C99 to C11
for PS4? Ideally I'd like for us to get the PS4 defaults to match the Clang
defaults for other toolchains where possible -- though clearly this change
is separate from the change in C++ language standard default. (If I
remember correctly, the issue here was the target libc not fully supporting
C11.)