[cfe-dev] Setting default dialect to C++11

Reid Kleckner via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 3 09:57:11 PST 2017

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Mehdi Amini via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> On Mar 2, 2017, at 10:57 PM, Robinson, Paul <paul.robinson at sony.com>
> wrote:
>
> Obviously in some cases target-specific defaults make a lot of sense --
> for instance if we know that a target or its ABI or toolchain simply
> doesn't support some feature, or needs special support for something -- but
> in the absence of a strong reason, we should generally aim for all targets
> to behave roughly the same.
>
> And in our case, the PS4 target simply doesn't support dialects other than
> C++11, therefore the target-specific default makes sense.
>

> I gave an alternative view that shows that “it makes sense” is not obvious.

FWIW we already default to C++11 in an MSVC environment, regardless of the
driver used, because it's required to compile the MSVC STL headers. It's
pretty close to Paul's use case of "the PS4 target simply doesn't support
dialects other than C++11". There's definitely prior art here.

+1 to what James said, we should just raise the language standard across
the board.