[cfe-dev] proposal - pragma section directive in clang

James Molloy via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Mar 3 01:09:58 PST 2017

Hi Reid,

Thanks for your comments. In truth, we don't have a particular requirement
for behaviour under LTO or pushability/poppability, so we can define this
in terms of what's best for Clang.

As context is always useful, the goal of this proposed feature is to
provide a migration path toward Clang for developers in the automotive
domain. As Javed has mentioned, AUTOSAR which is an automotive standard,
mandates the use of a #pragma in header files to determine in which
sections initialized and uninitialized data get put.

This feature is implemented in our legacy ARM Compiler 5 toolchain and
we're also aware of GCC forks used across the automotive space that have
this feature implemented compatible with the ARM Compiler 5 implementation.

The documentation is here:
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.arm.doc.dui0472m/chr1359124985290.html

We do not aim for or anticipate syntax-level compatibility; merely the
ability to do something similar in Clang. In particular Clang can't support
the "section_type" specifier without significant rewrite, as LLVM decides
the section type (NOBITS/PROGBITS) by textual matching on the section name
(gross, but the fix is well beyond our scope).

Given that documentation, you can also see why the Microsoft compatibility
option *almost* met our requirements - all except the behaviour in this
case:

#pragma bss_seg('.bss.mybss')
int i; // Microsoft extension will put i in .bss.mybss
int j = 0; // Microsoft extension will put j in .data, whereas we really
need it in .bss.mybss

So to specifically answer your questions:

In ARM Compiler 5, all pragmas are pushable and poppable. Clang doesn't
have this feature generally yet, but when/if it does, I don't see why this
pragma shouldn't be affected. So yes, we should consider it pushable and
poppable.

I think the only reasonable behaviour under LTO must be that the two TUs
(may) have different bss and data sections. Anything else would be very
strange behaviour from the user's perspective.

Your example of a static global migrating from .data into .bss after
optimization is interesting. With our proposal to explicitly name sections
in IR, this optimization would be inhibited. I personally think that's fine
:)

Cheers,

James