[cfe-dev] Unions in the Clang Static Analyzer

Keno Fischer via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Mar 1 14:53:13 PST 2017

I was having some trouble with using the static analyzer on code that
involves unions. Looking through the code, it seems like this is a known
problem and unions aren't particularly well supported. Personally, I was
able to make some progress by just ripping out all the checks for union
types, particularly in RegionStore. However, that's obviously a hacky
solution, so to ensure that my check will keep working, I'd like to improve
upstream support for unions if possible. Has anybody thought about this
problem before/is there already a design for this? Alternatively, have
people collected test cases that would benefit from improving union
support? I'm sure I'm not the first person to hit this issue, so I'd
appreciate any pointers to prior work.