[cfe-dev] Libtool search path on MacOS

scott constable via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 26 07:35:40 PDT 2017

Hi All,

When invoking a libtool like this:

$ mylibtool -extra-arg="-v" test.cpp

the libtool spits out its #include search paths. As I understand, the
libtool is automatically configured to establish the search paths via the
following:

1) Look for a candidate gcc installation. If found, add its headers to the
search path
2) Use the standard include paths (e.g. /usr/include, /usr/local/include,
etc.)
3) Use the path "../lib/clang/x.y.z/include" relative to where the libtool
binary is located, which only works when the libtool is located at the same
hierarchy level as the other clang binaries.

When I build my libtool on Ubuntu, it finds my Ubuntu gcc installation, and
adds the C/C++ headers to the search path automatically. But when I build
it on MacOS, it doesn't find any gcc installation (though I do have it
installed with homebrew). Since I'm building out-of-tree, the
"../lib/clang/x.y.z/include" path is invalid. So the tool cannot locate
C/C++ header files. My current workaround is to use the C_INCLUDE_PATH and
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH environment variables to point to my C/C++
installations. Is there a better way of doing this on Mac?

Thanks,

Scott Constable