[cfe-dev] 2017 US LLVM Developers' Meeting - Registration Opening!

Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 20 10:12:11 PDT 2017

How exactly is the developer meeting “commercialization” of an open source project?

Not the developer meeting per se, but charging $300 a head for it.  With attendance of 500 you're pushing $150k revenue, even with some subsidized attendees.  (I understand that the expense of SJCC makes something like this necessary, but that's a choice you're making regarding venue, and the decision-making behind it is pretty opaque.)

To hold it at a university we would most likely need to have it during a break or on a weekend as most of their year round event spaces are not big enough. I think there is a false assumption that this is an idea that has never been explored.

That sounds a bit snippy…. It would be more helpful to the discussion if you described what *was* explored and why it was rejected.  It's worth observing that EuroLLVM's distinctly worst recent attendance was at Barcelona, using a commercial space and co-located with CGO rather than standalone at a university.
--paulr